Friday, July 16, 2010

Gonna Fly Now

Today's daily "Kick in the butt" from Runnersworld.com was this:

Part of the challenge of the marathon is pushing past what you think is physically possible. You can do more than you think you can.


This week ends Week 8 of my marathon training. After Saturday's 12-mile run, I will have logged 20 miles this week. TWENTY! The closest week to this so far was last October at 16 miles. My long run that week was a training run to-and-from Eisenhauer Park, and I averaged 12m/mi. Which is what I'm at now. SO… when do I begin pushing for a better time?

Goal #1: Make the most of the next 6-week's speed and tempo workouts. This may mean sticking to the treadmill for those days, and trying to meet the SA Fit group on Tuesdays for speedwork training. End Date: 09/04/10

Food wise, something weird is happeneing in my brain. Either I'm burned out on meat or my brain is protesting time spent in the kitchen cooking. I'm finding my self eating smaller portions over all and shying away from animals. Monday: cous cous. Tuesday: Black bean tacos. Wednesday: Pasta with shrimp. Thursday: Watermelon salad*. We're going out to have Indian tonight, and I'm torn between Paneer Masala and Lamb Vindaloo. I may have to forgo the lamb as I feel it may cause a ruckus overnight and make for an interesting 4am wakeup. *sigh*

(*The recipe is on Runnersworld.com. I posted a picture on Facebook. It was REALLY really good.)

I've tried mapping out meal plans, but it's made complicated by having to feed The Boy and Major. Making 3 meals a night does not sound fun, and adding chicken or sausage to what I make and then feed it to Major seems like a cop out (only to me). Why are there no "family training meal plans" for those of us who have to fuel ourselves and feed others?

Goal #2: Identify 6 family friendly training meals to place in rotation. End date 07/31/10
 
Meal #1 – Pantry Couscous and Chicken
· A box of Near East plain couscous, cook as instructed
· 4 green onions or chives, chopped or 1/4 c fresh parsley
· ¼ c cooked lentils
· ¼ c cheese of choice (goat, feta) that crumbles
· ¼ c dried fruit of choice (fig, apricot, pomegranate, gold raisins)
· 2 sliced, grilled chicken breasts
· Single-serving of Green Giant frozen veggies
1. Mix cooked couscous and lentils. Serve ½ c. with chicken to picky child with a side of single-serve Green Giant frozen veggies.
2. Mix remaining ingredients and serve.
**I passed on the chicken, which left enough for a lunch portion for the next day.



Time to start the mental preparation for tomorrow's 12-mile run. Is that Bill Conti's "Gonna Fly Now" that I hear in my head? Sure is.




No comments: